The Job and main responsibilities
As the Head of Portfolio your main responsibility is to lead the growing team of 5- growing into 15 (senior) Portfolio Investment Managers to optimize result for the fund’s investors and portfolio companies within the context of Aqua-Spark’s investment strategy and impact objectives. The position oversees all portfolio management operations and portfolio investment activities. This results in investment recommendations for the Chief Portfolio Officer (CPO) and the Investment Committee. You are responsible for the follow-on investment process of the portfolio companies, which includes a.o. proactive portfolio management and support, in depth due diligence of investee companies, term sheet/deal negotiations. You are strategically involved in Aqua-Spark’s investment strategy, are part of the Management Team, together with the Head of Dealflow, Head of New Deals and Head of Boards. You report directly to the CPO.
Key responsible for …
- Making thorough analyses of various investment cases of follow-on investments on portfolio investments, negotiate term sheets, etc.. (coordination of the) the on- and off site in-depth due diligence process on portfolio investments;
- Responsible for the investment process regarding follow-on investments, proposals to the investment committee;
- Monitor, guide and manage portfolio companies’ performance for both the portfolio company as Aqua-Spark’s investment strategy and objectives; analyzing through KPI’s for the portfolio companies, quarterly reports, support the portfolio to help them strive and thrive, etc.
- Lead the department, grow the department and its members. Training the team, team motivation, developing a high performing team;
- Cooperation with the Management teams,C-suite and the Portfolio Investment team to set the Key Performance Indicators for the portfolio companies, to monitor both financial and non-financial performance of the existing portfolio investments, and to provide (pro-)active support to portfolio companies to optimize Portfolio results; Closely coordinating with the CIO and CROO on impact and risk;
- Making information and learnings available and actionable for the investment team and Aqua-Spark as an organization;
- Show leadership and engagement with defining new investment process improvements to promote efficiency and scalability;
- Pro-actively build and establish sustainable professional relationships with the worldwide Aqua-Spark network: internal and external stakeholders such as portfolio companies, experts and consultants, investors, etc..
What does it take to be successful working at Aqua-Spark in this position?
Besides a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in corporate or commercial law, Business Administration, Economics, or similar discipline, you have 10 or more years of professional working experience in a position with a similar level of responsibility, for example in impact investing, PE/VC, corporate finance or business development.
You have experience with/in …
- Closing a variety of investment deals, negotiation, deal structure, due diligence and dealing with an independent investment committee.
- You have experience in investing in SME’s/early stage companies as well as later stage. Preferably demonstrable experience with helping to bring early stage SME’s to maturity as an investor. Experience with pre series A, series A, Series B, series C, Series D investment. Making initial investments, but also follow on-Investments;
- Successfully leading and supporting and coaching leadership teams;
- You have a strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles;
- Experience working in an International environment, having an international mindset with cultural awareness;
- Business planning, negotiating and financial modeling;
- Structuring and continuously improving work processes and coordinating external advisors;
- Excellent financial and verbal analytical skills;
- Superb written and oral communication skills, with a high degree of professionalism in English, preferably a second language;
- Experience working with processing legal documentation/ information is required;
- Works independently to successfully contribute to and complete an investment process;
- Alignment with Aqua-Spark’s values, preferably understanding of global food production and the agri/aquaculture industry. Eager to learn, knowledge of, experience with and willingness to follow trends and developments in aquaculture. Broad interests with an understanding of the business and financial world and knowledge of trends and current activities in the relevant (financial) markets.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office; familiarity with databases; excellent IT/computer skills in general;
- Board experience, experience with PE and/or IPO is preferred;
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as experience and a good understanding of corporate governance, Investor relations, PR, Finance, etc. is preferred.
- Willingness to travel.
Aqua-Spark is a fast growing, global investment fund that makes investments in sustainable aquaculture businesses that generate investment returns while creating positive social and environmental impact. The fund is building an ecosystem of small to medium-sized enterprises across the global aquaculture value chain to make aquaculture more sustainable, healthier and more accessible for all. We work in a great team where communication is key!
What do we offer?
An excellent salary package including participation profit sharing and a truly impactful role within a great entrepreneurial and global organization that is growing fast. Furthermore we offer:
- Working in a great Investment team where communication and cooperation is key;
- Partly working from home;
- Working in an international organization that values inclusivity and diversity;
- An excellent introduction, quick integration, and opportunities for professional development;
- Working in a challenging international environment collaborating within a great team of professionals, highly motivated, dedicated, mission driven!
For more information or if you want to apply directly, contact Marjolein Jetten and/or Sophie van Dongen at [email protected] / [email protected].