Aqua-Spark is seeking a Legal Counsel to enrich its Legal and Compliance team. Are you a self-motivated individual with experience in corporate law (particularly private equity/venture capital and associated regulatory issues and compliance)? Then this is an excellent opportunity for you!
Aqua-Spark is looking to grow its legal team to meet the legal, strategic and compliance needs of a growing international investment fund.
Would you like to be part of an entrepreneurial team as a valued business partner in a profitable, fast-growing global investment fund active in innovative solutions to improve aquaculture? Do you want to play a key role within the team of a high standard environment, and make a true difference in the growth strategy of an organization that globally creates positive environmental and social impact? Then this role as Legal Counsel is the opportunity you have been waiting for! Read on for more information.
Aqua-Spark is a global investment fund based in Utrecht, that makes investments in sustainable aquaculture businesses that generate investment returns while creating positive social and environmental impact. The fund is building an ecosystem of small to medium-sized enterprises across the global aquaculture value chain to make aquaculture more sustainable, healthier and more accessible for all.
As our Legal Counsel, you provide legal counsel to the Managing Partners and (senior) Management on legal issues, high-quality advisory support on investment, contractual, governance, financial, regulatory, HR and general matters and supporting business strategies development by investigating legal and compliance matters. You have the responsibility concerning ensuring the Fund’s legal compliance and limiting risk exposure for Aqua-Spark (and its portfolio companies with the business). You will act as a legal partner for management and work closely with the team and our stakeholders.
You will have the following responsibilities:
- Providing high-quality advisory support to Managing Partners and teams on contractual, governance, financial, regulatory, HR and general matters;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements (i.e. shareholder, subscription, convertible loan and other investment-related documents), NDA’s, and contracts with vendors, suppliers, and other companies on behalf of Aqua-Spark;
- Providing compliance oversight and required legal support to accomplish Aqua-Spark’s goals, strategies and priorities, including, on assigned projects, working within a budget to hire and manage outside counsel;
- Ensuring compliance with relevant rules and regulations on assigned projects (both Dutch and European but also related to investors and portfolio companies, which are worldwide) across all Aqua-Spark activities and jurisdictions;
- Advising/supporting the Managing Partners and other (senior Management) on a variety of issues concerning assigned tasks, incl. legal aspects of business development;
- Advising/supporting the HR Director when necessary on legal matters relating to HR; and
- Contributing to the maintenance of a legal archive system, including the legal handbook and, if applicable, a professional archive system.
- You are a jurist or lawyer with at least 5 years of relevant experience in corporate law (prior experience reviewing shareholder and subscription agreements as well as some knowledge of regulatory frameworks preferred).
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in a professional position with a similar level of responsibility in a legal/financial organization, gained in private practice and/or as in-house counsel in an international environment.
- A solid basis in contract law, corporate law and compliance;
- Experience drafting and reviewing legal documents in English;
- Familiarity with legal, operational, financial, quality assurance, and human resource procedures and regulations by experience;
- You either have compliance experience (i.e. a good understanding of the AIFMD requirements and other laws and regulations relevant to investment funds such as KYC, anti-money laundering, conflicts of interest, data protection, GDPR, and tax and regulatory reporting) or a willingness to learn and an ability to master complex legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Excellent written and strong oral communication skills with a high degree of professionalism in English and preferably Dutch and a third language;
- Experience providing legal services in a venture capital/private equity investment context, with the familiarity of standard documents and provisions therein is preferred;
- You have high attention to detail and enjoy work that requires careful review and precision.
- You are willing to put in the time required to meet tight deadlines with a polished and accurate work product.
- You can synthesize and then clearly explain complicated topics, including risk analysis and mitigation strategies.
- You can read and understand Dutch regulations and related opinions.
- You have a teamwork mentality and are willing to do the tasks required for the organization’s overall success.
- You are self-motivated and able to multi-task and keep track of (and meet) deadlines.
- You have experience leading projects and are comfortable working and finding answers independently.
- You are a clear communicator and able to work well in collaborative and international environments.
In the centre of Utrecht. In a beautiful building, you will be working with an inspiring team.
The correct candidate will have an excellent salary package with attractive secondary benefits and a truly impactful role within a great entrepreneurial and global organisation that is growing fast. We are looking forward to receiving your application!